Read the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (20 November 1989) A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Thursday, 21 November 2019
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Voice of America (2 of 2), 19 January 1996

From: "Ioannis V. Bousnakis" <ivb19@nfi.com>

Voice of America Directory

CONTENTS

  • [01] BOSNIA/NATO (L ONLY) BY JOHN FRASER ( BRUSSELS )

  • [02] BOSNIA / DEADLINE (L ONLY) BY DAVID FOLEY (SARAJEVO)

  • [03] BOSNIA / HOLBROOKE (L ONLY) BY KYLE KING (BONN)

  • [04] TURKEY HIJACK (L UPDATE) BY LAURIE KASSMAN (ISTANBUL)

  • [05] U-N WEEK-IN-REVIEW BY ELAINE JOHANSON (UNITED NATIONS)


  • [01] BOSNIA/NATO (L ONLY) BY JOHN FRASER ( BRUSSELS )

    DATE=1/19/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-191498
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: SOUTH AFRICAN JUDGE RICHARD GOLDSTONE, WHO IS THE CHIEF PROSECUTOR IN THE U-N TRIBUNAL INVESTIGATING WAR CRIMES IN THE FORMER YUGOSLAVIA, HAS HIT OUT AT THE SERBS. HE WAS SPEAKING AT NATO HEADQUARTERS IN BRUSSELS, WHERE HE HAS BEEN SEEKING SUPPORT FOR HIS WORK. THE JUDGE WARNED THAT IF THE SERBS CONTINUE TO REFUSE TO COOPERATE WITH HIM, THEY MAY FACE RENEWED INTERNATIONAL SANCTIONS. JOHN FRASER REPORTS FROM BRUSSELS.

    TEXT: JUDGE GOLDSTONE WAS VISITING NATO HEADQUARTERS TO ASK THE ALLIANCE TO HELP WHERE IT CAN IN ARRESTING WAR CRIMINALS, AND IN UNCOVERING EVIDENCE OF ATROCITIES.

    NATO IS LEADING THE INTERNATIONAL MILITARY PEACE ENFORCEMENT OPERATION, KNOWN AS I-FOR. MR. GOLDSTONE RECEIVED THE REPLY THAT WHERE POSSIBLE, NATO WILL ASSIST, BUT THE ALLIANCE'S MAIN MISSION IS IMPLEMENTING THE PEACE, NOT CATCHING CRIMINALS.

    THE WILLINGNESS TO HELP IS THERE, NATO SOURCES SAID, BUT THE UNITED NATIONS TRIBUNAL WILL NOT BE RECEIVING ALL THE HELP IT WANTS. JUDGE GOLDSTONE WAS PARTICULARLY SCATHING ABOUT THE SERBS. HE SAID THE SERB LEADERSHIP IN BELGRADE HAS SO FAR FAILED TO RECOGNIZE THE EXISTENCE OR THE LEGITIMACY OF HIS TRIBUNAL.

    /// GOLDSTONE ACT ///

    AS OF TODAY, COMMUNICATIONS WHICH I HAVE SENT TO THE GOVERNMENT -- TO PRESIDENT FLILOSEVIC AND TO MEMBERS OF THE GOVERNMENT -- IN BELGRADE HAVE PROVOKED NO SATISFACTORY ANSWERS AT ALL. AGAIN, I CAN ONLY EXPRESS THE HOPE THAT THAT CHANGES. IF IT DOES CHANGE, IT WILL ENABLE US TO INVESTIGATE MORE EFFICIENTLY THE MANY ALLEGATIONS WHICH HAVE BEEN MADE AND RECEIVED BY MY OFFICE.

    /// END ACT ///

    JUDGE GOLDSTONE ADDED THAT IF SERBIA OR THE BOSNIAN SERBS REFUSE TO COMPLY, THEY WILL BE IN BREACH OF THE DAYTON PEACE ACCORD, AND WOULD AUTOMATICALLY FACE RENEWED SANCTIONS. EARLIER, HE CONFIRMED HE HAS DISCUSSED THE ISSUE OF EXHUMING MASS GRAVES IN BOSNIA, BUT HE REFUSED TO GO INTO DETAIL. WHAT HE DID SAY WAS THAT EVIDENCE FROM THE GRAVES WILL BE IMPORTANT IN BRINGING THE GUILTY TO JUSTICE. HE REFUSED, TOO, TO NAME THOSE CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION, BUT HE HAD THIS WARNING FOR THE MOST POWERFUL MILITARY AND POLITICAL LEADERS.

    /// GOLDSTONE ACT ///

    THE FACT THAT PEOPLE OCCUPY HIGH POSITIONS, CERTAINLY IN OUR OFFICE, IS NOT A MATTER OF RELEVANCE -- OTHER THAN THAT THEY SHOULD BE GIVEN PRIORITY. IF YOU LIKE, IN AMERICAN TERMS, WE CERTAINLY HAVE AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY IN OUR OFFICE. THE HIGHER UP THE LADDER OF COMMAND POLITICALLY OR MILITARILY PEOPLE MAY BE, THE MORE THEY ARE GIVEN PRIORITY WITH REGARD TO INVESTIGATION.

    /// END ACT ///

    NATO'S SUPREME COMMANDER, GENERAL GEORGE JOULWAN, HAS ALSO BEEN SPEAKING AT ALLIANCE HEADQUARTERS. HE SAYS THE DEPLOYMENT OF FORCES IS ON SCHEDULE, AND HE IS OPTIMISTIC THE DRAWING UP OF BOUNDARY LINES BETWEEN THE TWO COMMUNITIES IN BOSNIA IS ALSO GOING WELL. HOWEVER, HE HAS ADMITTED THE EXCHANGE OF PRISONERS OF WAR IS BEHIND SCHEDULE. (SIGNED)

    NEB/JF/MH
    19-Jan-96 10:55 AM EST (1555 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America


    [02] BOSNIA / DEADLINE (L ONLY) BY DAVID FOLEY (SARAJEVO)

    DATE=1/19/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-191511
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: NATO SAYS ALL SIDES IN BOSNIA SHOULD MEET THE FRIDAY NIGHT DEADLINE (MIDNIGHT LOCAL TIME OR 6:00 P-M EST) TO WITHDRAW THEIR FORCES FROM CEASEFIRE LINES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, AND SOME PRISONERS OF WAR ARE BEING RELEASED BY ALL SIDES. DAVID FOLEY IN SARAJEVO REPORTS THE MOVES ARE PART OF FRANTIC EFFORTS BY THE SIDES TO COMPLY WITH THE DAYTON PEACE AGREEMENT.

    TEXT: THE D-PLUS-30, OR 30 DAY DEADLINES IN THE DAYTON ACCORD ARE THE STERNEST TEST SO FAR OF THE WARRING SIDES WILLINGNESS TO MAKE PEACE IN BOSNIA.

    ON FRIDAY MORNING, NONE OF THE SIDES WERE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE PLAN, PARTICULARLY WITH REGARD TO THE REQUIRED RELEASE OF ALL PRISONERS OF WAR. THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT HAD BEEN REFUSING TO RELEASE IT'S P-O-W'S UNTIL THE BOSNIAN SERBS PROVIDED INFORMATION ABOUT THOUSANDS OF MISSING PEOPLE NOT ON THE LISTS OF THOSE TO BE HANDED OVER.

    /// OPT ///

    THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT CLAIMS THE SERBS ARE HOLDING PRISONERS IN SECRET FORCED-LABOR CAMPS, BUT NATO AND U-S OFFICIALS REJECTED ANY ATTEMPT TO LINK THE ISSUE OF THE MISSING PEOPLE WITH THE RELEASE OF P-O-W'S. /// END OPT ///

    ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT FINALLY RELENTED AND PRISONERS FROM ALL SIDES WERE PUT ABOARD BUSSES AND TAKEN TO THE FRONT LINES FOR RELEASE. AT SARAJEVO'S NATO CONTROLLED AIRPORT, THE SITE OF ONE SUCH RELEASE, THE RED CROSS SPOKESMAN, PIERRE GAUTHIER, DESCRIBED THE SCENE AS THE FIRST TRUCKLOAD OF PRISONERS ARRIVED.

    /// ACT - GAUTHIER ///

    IN THE TRUCK THERE ARE THE PRISONERS RELEASED, AND THEY WILL CROSS VERY RAPIDLY ON THE OTHER SIDE, AND ACCORDING TO THIS FIRST ASSESSMENT SOME 27 PERSONS HAVE BEEN RELEASED INSIDE SARAJEVO, THAT MEANS THE JAILS INSIDE THE CITY.

    /// END ACT ///

    /// OPT ///

    RED CROSS OFFICIALS EXPECT ONLY AROUND 200 P-O-W'S TO BE EXCHANGED BEFORE THE DEADLINE EXPIRES, FAR SHORT OF THE MORE THAN 900 P-O-W'S HELD BY THE SIDES. DESPITE THE ONLY PARTIAL COMPLIANCE WITH THE DEADLINE, MR. GAUTHIER SAID HE THOUGHT THE RELEASE OF P-O-W'S WOULD BE A CRUCIAL DEVELOPMENT FOR BOSNIA.

    /// OPT // ACT - GAUTHIER ///

    THIS IS A VERY, VERY POSITIVE SIGN OF COMPLIANCE WITH THE PEACE PROCESS, AND WE HOPE THAT IT IS THE FIRST TREMENDOUS STEP TOWARD PEACE IN THIS REGION.

    /// END ACT // END OPT ///

    IN RESPONSE TO BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT COMPLAINTS THAT MANY OF ITS PEOPLE ARE HELD PRISONER BY THE SERBS, BUT ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE P-O-W RELEASE, AMERICAN OFFICIALS ON FRIDAY PROMISED NEW MEASURES TO RELEASE MORE PRISONERS.

    U-S ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF STATE JOHN SHATTUCK SAID IN SARAJEVO THAT THE RED CROSS WOULD IMMEDIATELY BEGIN LOOKING FOR ADDITIONAL PRISONERS THAT HAD NOT BEEN VISITED BY RED CROSS MONITORS.

    /// ACT - SHATTUCK ///

    I THINK IT IS VERY CLEAR THAT THERE ARE MORE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN VISITED, WHO HAVE NOT BEEN ACCESSIBLE, AND CERTAINLY MANY THOUSANDS WHO ARE MISSING WHO'S IDENTITIES AND RESULTS OF THAT SEARCH FOR THEM WILL BE NECESSARY UNDER THE DAYTON AGREEMENT.

    /// END ACT ///

    THEIR ARE OTHER FRIDAY NIGHT DEADLINES AS WELL. UNDER THE DAYTON PLAN, THE FOUR-KILOMETER WIDE ZONE OF SEPARATION BETWEEN THE ARMIES MUST BE CLEAR OF SOLDIERS, HEAVY WEAPONS AND LAND MINES. ON FRIDAY MORNING NATO OFFICERS SAID THERE WERE STILL 50 HEAVY WEAPONS IN THE ZONE, BUT THEY SAID THEY WERE CONFIDENT ALL SIDES WOULD COMPLY WITH THE PEACE PLAN.

    NATO IS NOT EXPECTED TO ANNOUNCE IF THE SIDES HAVE COMPLIED WITH THE MILITARY DEADLINE UNTIL AT LEAST SATURDAY EVENING.

    /// REST OPT ///

    NATO OFFICERS ALSO SAY SOME LANDMINES IN THE ZONE MAY NOT BE REMOVED AS REQUIRED, BUT ONLY BECAUSE OF BAD WEATHER AND FROZEN GROUND, NOT BECAUSE THE SIDES ARE UNWILLING TO COOPERATE.

    THE LAST KEY DEADLINE IS FOR THE WITHDRAWAL OF ALL FOREIGN FORCES FROM BOSNIA. NATO IS PARTICULARLY CONCERNED ABOUT ISLAMIC MUJAHEDEEN SOLDIERS WHO HAVE FOUGHT ALONGSIDE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT FORCES DURING THE WAR. THE LAST 100 SUCH SOLDIERS ARE CURRENTLY SURROUNDED BY NATO TROOPS IN NORTHWEST BOSNIA. THE MUJAHEDEEN HAVE BEEN STEADILY LEAVING THE COUNTRY, AND NATO SEEMS SATISFIED THE LAST FEW WILL BE OUT SOON, IF NOT BEFORE THE DEADLINE. (SIGNED)

    NEB/DF/JWH/PT
    19-Jan-96 2:27 PM EST (1927 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America


    [03] BOSNIA / HOLBROOKE (L ONLY) BY KYLE KING (BONN)

    DATE=1/19/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-191509
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: U-S ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF STATE RICHARD HOLBROOKE SAYS HE IS OPTIMISTIC PRISONER EXCHANGES IN BOSNIA WILL EVENTUALLY BE WORKED OUT. V-O-A'S KYLE KING REPORTS MR. HOLBROOKE TOLD REPORTERS IN GERMANY THAT HE FEELS THE MILITARY ASPECTS OF THE BOSNIAN PEACE ACCORD (AGREED IN DAYTON, OHIO) ARE BEING FULLY IMPLEMENTED. HE SAID HIS MAIN CONCERN IS THE CIVILIAN ASPECTS OF THE PEACE PLAN.

    TEXT: AFTER ANOTHER OF HIS WHIRLWIND TOURS OF THE REGION, MR. HOLBROOKE SAID THERE IS STILL A LONG WAY TO GO TO ACHIEVE PEACE IN BOSNIA. BUT HE SAID THERE HAD BEEN MAJOR PROGRESS.

    MR. HOLBROOKE, WHO MET THIS WEEK WITH OFFICIALS IN SARAJEVO, BELGRADE, AND ZAGREB, SAID THAT FROM A MILITARY PERSPECTIVE, THE DAYTON ACCORD IS ON TRACK. HE SAID THE WEAK LINK IN THE PEACE PLAN RIGHT NOW IS THE EFFORT TO RAISE MONEY FOR THE REBUILDING OF THE COUNTRY AND TO ORGANIZE THINGS LIKE ELECTIONS AND CIVILIAN POLICE.

    MR. HOLBROOKE SAID U-S BUDGET PROBLEMS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO DIFFICULTIES FOR THOSE ORGANIZING THESE EFFORTS

    // HOLBROOKE ACT //

    I MENTIONED POLICE A MINUTE AGO. WE INTEND TO PUT 50-MILLION DOLLARS OF FUNDS INTO THE POLICE. BUT WE HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO COME UP WITH A PENNY BECAUSE OF OUR BUDGET, SO THESE ARE TREMENDOUSLY DIFFICULT PROBLEMS.

    // END ACT //

    // OPT //

    MR. HOLBROOKE EXPRESSED CONCERN ABOUT RECENT TENSIONS BETWEEN MUSLIMS AND CROATS IN MOSTAR, WHERE A SERIES OF SHOOTING INCIDENTS AROUND NEW YEARS THREATENED THE FRAGILE ALLIANCE BETWEEN THE TWO SIDES. // END OPT //

    UNLIKE OTHER OBSERVERS WHO HAVE BEEN WARNING OF POSSIBLE PROBLEMS IN SARAJEVO, MR. HOLBROOKE SAID HE DID NOT BELIEVE THERE WOULD BE A MAJOR EXODUS OF LONG TERM SERB RESIDENTS FROM DISTRICTS DUE TO COME UNDER GOVERNMENT CONTROL.

    MR. HOLBROOKE SAID MANY OF THOSE WHO ARE LEAVING PROBABLY BELONG TO ANOTHER CATEGORY.

    // HOLBROOKE ACT //

    AND THERE ARE PEOPLE, QUITE FRANKLY, WHO ARE THE FAMILIES OF THE SOLDIERS WHO WERE SHELLING SARAJEVO.

    // END ACT //

    ON OTHER SUBJECTS MR. HOLBROOKE SAID HE AND OTHER OFFICIALS ARE VERY CONCERNED WITH THE CONTINUED PRESENCE OF MUJAHIDEEN UNITS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY UNDER THE TERMS OF THE DAYTON ACCORD.

    MR. HOLBROOKE SAID HE RAISED THE ISSUE WITH THE BOSNIAN PRESIDENT. UNLESS THOSE FORCES LEAVE THE COUNTRY, MR. HOLBROOKE SAID IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO GO AHEAD WITH THE TRAINING AND EQUIPPING OF THE BOSNIAN ARMY.

    // OPT //

    WHEN ASKED ABOUT COOPERATION WITH THE RUSSIAN TROOPS THAT ARE TAKING PART IN THE PEACE OPERATION, MR. HOLBROOKE SAID HE THOUGHT THE PARTNERSHIP WAS GOING VERY WELL. HE SAID HE THOUGHT THE RELATIONSHIP IN BOSNIA, WOULD DETERMINE THE FUTURE OF RELATIONS BETWEEN RUSSIA AND NATO. (SIGNED)

    NEB/KBK/JWH/CF
    19-Jan-96 1:49 PM EST (1849 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America


    [04] TURKEY HIJACK (L UPDATE) BY LAURIE KASSMAN (ISTANBUL)

    DATE=1/19/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-191505
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: TURKEY'S THREE-DAY HOSTAGE ORDEAL IS OVER. THE HIJACKERS HAVE SURRENDERED AND WERE REMOVED FROM THE SHIP UNDER THE COVER OF DARKNESS. V-O-A'S LAURIE KASSMAN IN ISLAMABAD REPORTS THE FERRY'S CAPTAIN SAYS ONLY THE CREWMEMBERS AND PASSENGERS ARE LEFT ON THE VESSEL, WHICH NOW IS LIKELY TO HEAD BACK OUT TO THE BLACK SEA TOWARD THE EASTERN PORT OF EREGLI AFTER REFUELING AND RECEIVING FOOD AND WATER SUPPLIES.

    TEXT: THE FERRY'S CAPTAIN SAYS THE HIJACKERS WERE TAKEN ABOARD A NAVY VESSEL, LEAVING ONLY THE PASSENGERS AND CREWMEMBERS ON BOARD -- FREE AT LAST. A JOURNALIST WHO HAD BEEN ON THE SHIP SINCE THURSDAY SAID THE GUNMEN THREW THEIR WEAPONS AND EXPLOSIVES OVERBOARD BEFORE LEAVING.

    ABOUT EIGHT GUNMEN SEIZED THE BLACK SEA FERRY TUESDAY NIGHT AND THREATENED TO BLOW IT UP TO PROTEST RUSSIA'S CRACKDOWN ON CHECHEN REBELS IN DAGESTAN. THEY WANTED TO SAIL TO ISTANBUL AND GIVE A NEWS CONFERENCE TO AIR THEIR GRIEVANCES. TURKEY REFUSED TO LET THE BOAT -- LOADED WITH WITH EXPLOSIVES -- ENTER THE BUSY SHIPPING LANES OF THE BOSPHORUS.

    THE FERRY ARRIVED AT THE MOUTH OF THE BOSPHORUS MIDDAY FRIDAY AND SAT THERE SURROUNDED BY TURKISH NAVY VESSELS WHILE INTENSE NEGOTIATIONS CONTINUED. A DOZEN PASSENGERS, SOME OF THEM ILL, WERE EVACUATED LATE IN THE AFTERNOON.

    HUNDREDS OF REPORTERS AND PRO-CHECHEN ACTIVISTS WATCHED THE DRAMA UNFOLD FROM THE ROCKY COAST. ORDINARY TURKS SAT GLUED TO THEIR T-V'S FOR THREE DAYS.

    THE PRO-CHECHEN DEMONSTRATORS -- HOLDING THEIR VIGIL AT THE POINT WHERE THE BOSPHORUS MEETS THE BLACK SEA -- SPENT FRIDAY WAVING CHECHEN FLAGS AND BANNERS AND SHOUTING ANTI-RUSSIAN SLOGANS, SUCH AS "CHECHNYA WILL BECOME A CEMETERY OF RUSSIANS."

    OTHER DEMONSTRATORS TOOK TO THE STREETS OF ISTANBUL AFTER FRIDAY PRAYERS. THEY BURNED THE RUSSIAN FLAG AND PRAYED FOR THE CHECHENS KILLED IN DAGESTAN.

    THERE ARE MORE THAN FIVE-MILLION ETHNIC CAUCASIANS AND ABOUT 40-THOUSAND ETHNIC CHECHENS AMONG TURKEY'S MOSTLY MUSLIM POPULATION. MOST OF THEM SYMPATHIZE WITH THE CHECHEN CAUSE.

    TENSIONS HAVE INCREASED BETWEEN TURKEY AND RUSSIA OVER THE SITUATION IN CHECHNYA AND OTHER CAUCASIAN REPUBLICS.

    RUSSIAN PRESIDENT BORIS YELTSIN COMPLAINED THAT TURKEY WAS NOT MOVING FAST ENOUGH TO END THE HOSTAGE ORDEAL IN THE BLACK SEA. BUT PRIME MINISTER TANSU CILLER INSISTED THE BEST WAY TO RESOLVE THE CRISIS WAS THROUGH PEACEFUL NEGOTIATIONS AND NOT A FINAL SOLUTION, A THINLY VEILED CRITICISM OF THE RUSSIAN ASSAULT IN DAGESTAN. (SIGNED)

    NEB/LK/JWH/CF
    19-Jan-96 1:13 PM EST (1813 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America


    [05] U-N WEEK-IN-REVIEW BY ELAINE JOHANSON (UNITED NATIONS)

    DATE=1/19/96
    TYPE=BACKGROUND REPORT
    NUMBER=5-32235
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: THE UNITED NATIONS PREPARES FOR DEPLOYMENT IN CROATIA -- WITH ASSURANCES THAT NATO WILL HELP; SECRETARY-GENERAL BOUTROS BOUTROS-GHALI CALLS FOR A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL INITIATIVE TO SAVE BURUNDI FROM DISSOLVING INTO FULL-SCALE ETHNIC CONFLICT; AND, THE U-N AND IRAQ MAY BE ON THE THRESHOLD OF NEW TALKS ON OIL SALES. VOA CORRESPONDENT ELAINE JOHANSON REVIEWS THE MAIN DEVELOPMENTS OF THE PAST WEEK.

    TEXT: A FORCE OF UP TO FIVE-THOUSAND WILL BE DEPLOYED IN THE LAST SERB-HELD TERRITORY OF CROATIA OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS. THE SECURITY COUNCIL UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED A U-N PEACEKEEPING MISSION THAT WILL GIVE THE UNITED NATIONS ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL OVER EASTERN SLAVONIA UNTIL ZAGREB GET ITS BACK.

    NATO HAS PROMISED TO PROVIDE THE U-N FORCE WITH CLOSE AIR SUPPORT IF THE TROOPS ARE IN DANGER. THE WESTERN MILITARY ALLIANCE ALSO SAID IT WOULD HELP THEM WITHDRAW IF THE PEACE ACCORD COLLAPSES.

    THE NEW OPERATION WAS AUTHORIZED FOR ONE YEAR -- WITH AN OPTION TO RENEW FOR ANOTHER 12 MONTHS. BUT THE U-N CHIEF OF THE MISSION -- AMERICAN JACQUES KLEIN -- SAYS HE EXPECTS NO MAJOR PROBLEMS AND THE JOB COULD WELL BE ACCOMPLISHED IN THE FIRST YEAR. THE PRESIDENTS OF SERBIA AND CROATIA HAVE PLEDGED TO COOPERATE.

    U-N TROOPS WILL SUPERVISE THE VOLUNTARY DISARMAMENT OF SERB MILITIAS WITHIN THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF DEPLOYMENT.

    -0-

    THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY IS GROWING EXTREMELY ALARMED BY THE ETHNIC VIOLENCE IN BURUNDI. U-N REFUGEE COMMISSIONER SADAKO OGATA HAS CALLED FOR URGENT PROTECTION OF RELIEF WORKERS. SECRETARY-GENERAL BOUTROS-GHALI BELIEVES BURUNDI MIGHT EXPERIENCE WHOLESALE BLOODLETTING SIMILAR TO THE 1994 GENOCIDE IN NEIGHBORING RWANDA AND IS PRODDING THE SECURITY COUNCIL TO ACT AGGRESSIVELY. BURUNDI AND RWANDA HAVE THE SAME ETHNIC MIX OF MAJORITY HUTU AND MINORITY TUTSI. HOWEVER, COUNCIL DIPLOMATS HAVE DECIDED TO TAKE A CAUTIOUS APPROACH, PARTLY BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT OF BURUNDI DOES NOT WANT THE UNITED NATIONS MILITARILY INVOLVED. THE COUNCIL APPROVED THE DISPATCH OF A U-N SECURITY MISSION TO EVALUATE THE SITUATION AND SAID IT WOULD TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT VARIOUS OPTIONS NEXT WEEK.

    THE COUNCIL APPEARS INCLINED TO SEND U-N GUARDS TO THE CENTRAL AFRICAN NATION, HAVING VIRTUALLY RULED OUT A PEACEKEEPING FORCE. BUT EVEN THIS IDEA SEEMS TO EVOKE SKEPTICISM AMONG BURUNDI OFFICIALS. THE COUNTRY'S U-N AMBASSADOR HAS SUGGESTED THAT ECONOMIC ASSISTANCE AND SOME MORAL SUPPORT MIGHT BE BETTER IN PROMOTING NATIONAL RECONCILIATION. MEANWHILE, CANADA HAS ANNOUNCED IT IS PULLING ITS TROOPS OUT OF THE U-N FORCE IN RWANDA ABOUT ONE MONTH BEFORE THE MISSION IS DUE TO EXPIRE. CANADA SAYS IT WILL WITHDRAW AT THE BEGINNING OF FEBRUARY.

    THE SECURITY COUNCIL EXTENDED THE MANDATE OF THE FORCE FOR A FINAL THREE-MONTH PERIOD UNTIL MARCH 8TH AND AT THE REQUEST OF THE RWANDAN GOVERNMENT REDUCED ITS STRENGTH. CANADA SAYS IT IS UNREALISTIC TO EXPECT THE FORCE TO CARRY OUT THE SAME FUNCTIONS WITH FEWER RESOURCES. RWANDA, LIKE BURUNDI, DOES NOT WANT A U-N MILITARY PRESENCE. THE RWANDA GOVERNMENT REMAINS BITTER THAT U-N TROOPS DEPLOYED IN THE COUNTRY DURING THE MASSACRES HAD FAILED TO INTERVENE.

    -0-

    SECRETARY-GENERAL BOUTROS-GHALI HAS INVITED IRAQ TO NEW TALKS ON A SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTION ALLOWING LIMITED OIL SALES FOR HUMANITARIAN PURCHASES. THE MOVE CAME AFTER A SENIOR IRAQI OFFICIAL SIGNALED EARLIER IN THE WEEK THAT IRAQ IS READY TO CONSIDER THE DEAL.

    THE SECURITY COUNCIL LAST YEAR OFFERED TO LET IRAQ SELL TWO BILLION DOLLARS OF OIL EVERY SIX MONTHS, USING PART OF THE PROFITS TO BUY BADLY NEEDED FOOD AND MEDICINE. IRAQ HAS BEEN UNDER U-N SANCTIONS -- INCLUDING A BAN ON ITS OIL EXPORTS -- SINCE IT INVADED KUWAIT IN 1990.

    IRAQ HAS ALWAYS REJECTED THE OFFER ON THE GROUNDS THE U-N SUPERVISION INVOLVED WOULD VIOLATE ITS SOVEREIGNTY. THE UNITED NATIONS IS STILL NOT SURE IRAQ'S POSITION HAS CHANGED. BUT THE SECRETARY-GENERAL IS SAID TO BELIEVE AN OPENING EXISTS, AS IRAQ FINALLY REALIZES THE SANCTIONS ARE NOT COMING OFF ANY TIME SOON. (SIGNED)

    NEB/EJ/JM
    19-Jan-96 4:50 PM EST (2150 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America

    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    voa2html v1.01 run on Friday, 19 January 1996 - 21:47:09