Visit the Macedonian Press Agency (MPA) Archive A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Monday, 22 July 2019
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Voice of America, 1 January 1996

From: "Ioannis V. Bousnakis" <ivb19@nfi.com>

Voice of America Directory

CONTENTS

  • [01] BOSNIA / TRUCKS (L) BY KYLE KING (SARAJEVO)

  • [02] ITALY POLITICS (L-O) BY PEGGY POLK (ROME )

  • [03] NATO / BOSNIA / S BY KYLE KING (SARAJEVO)

  • [04] PERRY/BOSNIA (L) BY DAVID GOLLUST (WASHINGTON)


  • [01] BOSNIA / TRUCKS (L) BY KYLE KING (SARAJEVO)

    DATE=1/1/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-190668
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: U-S TROOPS ARE MOVING SLOWLY INTO BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA, FOLLOWING COMPLETION OF THE NEW PONTOON BRIDGE ACROSS THE SAVA RIVER. AS V-O-A'S KYLE KING REPORTS, ABOUT 50 TRUCKS ARE EXPECTED TO REACH TUZLA DURING THE DAY, AS NATO CONTINUES BEEFING UP ITS PEACEKEEPING FORCE.

    TEXT: NATO OFFICERS IN SARAJEVO SAY MORE THAN 150 U-S VEHICLES, SOME OF THEM TANKS AND ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIERS, STREAMED INTO BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA AFTER THE BRIDGE WAS COMPLETED SUNDAY.

    WITH THE SAVA RIVER BRIDGE NOW OPEN, MILITARY PLANNERS ARE ORGANIZING CONVOYS FROM HUNGARY AND CROATIA, THAT WILL MAKE THEIR WAY INTO TUZLA, THE HEADQUARTERS OF THE U-S FIRST ARMORED DIVISION.

    THE OPENING OF THE ROADWAY, CALLED ROUTE ARIZONA, MEANS THE BULK OF THE POWERFUL U-S CONTINGENT SHOULD BE ABLE TO QUICKLY DEPLOY ALONG WHAT HAD BEEN THE FRONT LINES IN THE BLOODY FOUR-YEAR WAR.

    NATO OFFICIALS, ENJOYING WHAT THEY CALL A HONEYMOON PERIOD IN THE DEPLOYMENT, SAY THEY ARE ENCOURAGED BY THE OVERALL COMPLIANCE WITH THE TERMS OF THE PEACE AGREEMENT. BUT, THERE IS CONTINUED CONCERN ABOUT THE FATE OF THE SERB-HELD AREAS OF SARAJEVO. UNDER THE TERMS OF THE DAYTON PEACE ACCORD, SERB TROOPS ARE REQUIRED TO CLEAR OUT OF THE AREAS BY THE FIRST WEEK IN FEBRUARY, AND MAKE WAY FOR THE TRANSITION TO BOSNIAN-GOVERNMENT CONTROL.

    NATO AND BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS SAY THE RESIDENTS OF THE SERB-HELD AREAS SHOULD STAY IN THEIR HOMES, BUT SOME SERBS HAVE BEGUN TO MOVE OUT, SAYING THEY WILL NEVER LIVE UNDER WHAT THEY CALL MUSLIM RULE.

    NATO OFFICIALS SAY THEY ARE PREPARED IF NECESSARY TO PROVIDE SECURITY AROUND VITAL PUBLIC UTILITIES IN THE SERB SECTIONS, IN THE EVENT WITHDRAWING FORCES TRY TO CARRY OUT ACTS OF SABOTAGE.

    OFFICIALS SAY THEY HOPE THE PRESENCE OF NATO TROOPS WILL OFFER THE SENSE OF SECURITY NECESSARY FOR THE SERBS, WHO FEAR RETRIBUTION FOR THEIR BLOODY THREE-AND-ONE-HALF-YEAR SIEGE OF SARAJEVO.

    IN ANOTHER DEVELOPMENT, GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER KLAUS KINKEL SAYS AID FOR RECONSTRUCTION IN BOSNIA, SHOULD BE LINKED TO HELP IN BRINGING WAR CRIMINALS TO JUSTICE. MR. KINKEL SAYS IT IS IMPORTANT THE TERRIBLE CRIMES IN BOSNIA NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

    FIFTY-TWO PEOPLE HAVE BEEN INDICTED BY THE U-N WAR CRIMES TRIBUNAL, INCLUDING BOSNIAN-SERB LEADER RADOVAN KARADZIC AND BOSNIAN-SERB GENERAL RATKO MLADIC.

    NATO OFFICIALS SAY THEIR TROOPS WILL NOT SEARCH OUT ANY OF THE SUSPECTS, BUT IF THEY COME ACROSS THOSE ON THE LIST, THEY WILL BE PUT UNDER DETENTION AND TURNED OVER TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES. (SIGNED)

    NEB/KBK
    01-Jan-96 9:55 AM EST (1455 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America


    [02] ITALY POLITICS (L-O) BY PEGGY POLK (ROME )

    DATE=1/1/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-190669
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: ITALY HAS BEGUN ITS SIX-MONTH TERM AS PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN UNION AT A TIME OF HEIGHTENED POLITICAL UNCERTAINTY. AS PEGGY POLK REPORTS, PRIME MINISTER LAMBERTO DINI HAS SUBMITTED HIS RESIGNATION, AND IT WILL BE UP TO PARLIAMENT TO DECIDE WHETHER HE SHOULD TRY TO FORM A NEW BROAD-BASED GOVERNMENT OR LEAD THE COUNTRY INTO EARLY ELECTIONS.

    TEXT: AMID THE UNCERTAINTY ABOUT ITALY'S POLITICAL FUTURE ONE THING IS CERTAIN, ITALIAN PRESIDENT OSCAR LUIGI SCALFARO WILL DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO AVOID CALLING ELECTIONS BEFORE ITALY'S PRESIDENCY OF THE EUROPEAN UNION ENDS IN JUNE. SATURDAY, PRIME MINISTER LAMBERTO DINI SUBMITTED HIS RESIGNATION TO THE PRESIDENT, WHO REFUSED TO ACCEPT IT PENDING A PARLIAMENTARY DEBATE.

    MR. DINI HAS BEEN PRIME MINISTER FOR ALMOST A YEAR, HEADING AN INTERIM GOVERNMENT OF NON-ELECTED TECHNOCRATS FORMED AFTER THE COLLAPSE OF MEDIA MAGNATE SILVIO BERLUSCONI'S CONSERVATIVE COALITION. MR. DINI OFFERED TO RESIGN -- AS PROMISED -- AFTER COMPLETING A PROGRAM OF STRINGENT FISCAL REFORM.

    IN THE PRESIDENT'S TRADITIONAL NEW YEAR'S EVE ADDRESS TO THE COUNTRY, MR. SCALFARO SAID HE WANTS PARLIAMENT TO MAKE A CLEAR DECISION ON THE COURSE OF POLITICAL EVENTS.

    THE MAIN QUESTION IS WHETHER MR. DINI HAS THE SUPPORT TO FORM A NEW, BROAD-BASED GOVERNMENT TO CARRY ITALY THROUGH ITS E-U PRESIDENCY AND ENACT SWEEPING JUDICIAL, ELECTORAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE REFORM.

    MR. SCALFARO SAID IF ELECTIONS BECOME INEVITABLE, THE DATE SHOULD BE AFTER JUNE 30TH SO AS NOT TO DISRUPT ITALY'S E-U LEADERSHIP.

    BUT THE PRESIDENT SAID HE WOULD PREFER TO SEE POLITICIANS PUT ASIDE PARTISAN FEUDING AND WORK TOGETHER IN A STRONG NEW GOVERNMENT -- ITALY'S 55TH SINCE WORLD WAR II -- TO RE-WRITE THE COUNTRY'S POSTWAR CONSTITUTION.

    KEY POLITICAL LEADERS -- INCLUDING MR. BERLUSCONI AND MR. DINI'S BACKERS IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF THE LEFT -- HAVE GIVEN TENTATIVE ENDORSEMENT TO THE PROPOSAL. BUT THERE IS STRONG OPPOSITION FROM THE EXTREME RIGHT AND LEFT. (SIGNED)

    NEB/RAE
    01-Jan-96 9:28 AM EST (1428 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America


    [03] NATO / BOSNIA / S BY KYLE KING (SARAJEVO)

    DATE=1/1/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-190664
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: U-S TROOPS ARE FLOODING ACROSS THE NEW PONTOON BRIDGE FROM CROATIA INTO BOSNIA AND NATO OFFICIALS SAY HUNDREDS OF TANKS AND TRUCKS ARE EXPECTED TO REACH TUZLA DURING THE DAY. V-O-A'S KYLE KING REPORTS.

    TEXT: NATO OFFICERS IN SARAJEVO SAY MORE THAN 150 VEHICLES STREAMED INTO BOSNIA AFTER THE BRIDGE WAS COMPLETED, SUNDAY.

    NOW THAT THE FLOW OF MEN AND MATERIAL HAS BEEN OPENED, MILITARY PLANNERS ARE ORGANIZING TRUCKS AND ARMORED VEHICLES INTO CONVOYS THAT WILL MAKE THEIR WAY DOWN INTO THE TUZLA -- THE HEADQUARTERS OF THE U-S FIRST ARMORED DIVISION.

    THE OPENING OF THE ROADWAY -- DUBBED "ROUTE ARIZONA" -- MEANS THE BULK OF THE POWERFUL U-S CONTINGENT SHOULD BE ABLE TO QUICKLY DEPLOY ALONG WHAT HAD BEEN THE FRONT LINES IN THE BLOODY FOUR-YEAR WAR.

    NATO OFFICIALS -- ENJOYING WHAT THEY CALL A "HONEYMOON PERIOD" IN THE DEPLOYMENT -- SAY THEY HAVE NOT ENCOUNTERED ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS SINCE THE MISSION BEGAN NEARLY TWO WEEKS AGO.

    THEY SAY THE LEAD ELEMENTS OF THE RUSSIAN CONTINGENT TO THE NATO FORCE IS EXPECTED TO ARRIVE JANUARY 16TH AND BE OPERATIONAL BY THE END OF THE MONTH.

    THROUGHOUT BOSNIA NATO OFFICIALS SAY THERE ARE ENCOURAGING SIGNS OF FULL COMPLIANCE WITH THE TERMS OF THE PEACE TREATY. (SIGNED)

    NEB / WOD / WOD
    01-Jan-96 6:31 AM EST (1131 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America


    [04] PERRY/BOSNIA (L) BY DAVID GOLLUST (WASHINGTON)

    DATE=1/1/96
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-190674
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    ///EDS: PERRY DEPARTS ANDREWS A-F-B AT 6 P-M///

    INTRO: DEFENSE SECRETARY WILLIAM PERRY LEAVES FOR EUROPE SHORTLY (EDS: OR IS ENROUTE TO EUROPE) FOR A TOUR OF U-S MILITARY OPERATIONS IN THE BALKANS. MR. PERRY -- AND JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF CHAIRMAN GENERAL JOHN SHALKASHVILI WHO IS TRAVELING WITH HIM -- WILL BE THE FIRST SENIOR U-S OFFICIALS TO VISIT AMERICAN TROOPS IN BOSNIA SINCE THE PEACEKEEPING DEPLOYMENT BEGAN IN MID-DECEMBER. V-O-A'S DAVID GOLLUST HAS DETAILS.

    TEXT: MR. PERRY AND GENERAL SHALIKASHVILI GO FIRST TO THE NATO AIRBASE AT AVIANO, ITALY, FROM WHICH THE ALLIANCE ENFORCED ITS NO-FLY ZONE OPERATIONS OVER BOSNIA. THEN THEY GO ON TO SOUTHERN HUNGARY LATER IN THE DAY TUESDAY TO VISIT KAPOSVAR AND TASZAR -- THE FORWARD STAGING AREAS FOR U-S GROUND TROOPS HEADING FOR BOSNIA FROM BASES IN GERMANY.

    THE DEFENSE SECRETARY WILL HOLD MEETINGS AT THE TASZAR AIR BASE WITH DEFENSE MINISTER GYORGY KELETI AND OTHER SENIOR HUNGARIAN OFFICIALS ON MILITARY COOPERATION THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN UNTHINKABLE JUST A FEW YEARS AGO.

    LAST MONTH, HUNGARY'S PARLIAMENT APPROVED THE USE OF ITS FACILITIES FOR BOSNIAN PEACEKEEPING OPERATIONS BY A NEARLY-UNANIMOUS VOTE. AND THE FORMER WARSAW PACT COUNTRY IS NOW CONSIDERED A LEADING CANDIDATE FOR MEMBERSHIP IN NATO, WHEN THE ALLIANCE GOES AHEAD WITH ITS PROMISED EASTWARD EXPANSION.

    SECRETARY PERRY AND GENERAL SHALIKASHVILI ARE TO SPEND MOST OF WEDNESDAY IN BOSNIA. THEY GO TO SARAJEVO FOR MEETINGS WITH PRESIDENT ALIJA IZETBEGOVIC AND PRIME MINISTER HARIS SILAJDZIC AND TO TOUR THE ALLIED PEACEKEEPING HEADQUARTERS THERE.

    AND AT TUZLA -- THE HUB OF U-S OPERATIONS IN THE NORTHERN SECTOR OF THE COUNTRY -- THEY WILL MEET WITH OFFICERS AND ENLISTED PERSONNEL OF THE AMERICAN CONTINGENT, NOW GROWING RAPIDLY WITH THE COMPLETION OF THE FLOATING BRIDGE ACROSS THE SAVA RIVER FROM CROATIA.

    U-S DEFENSE OFFICIALS CONCEDE THE U-S DEPLOYMENT IN BOSNIA -- WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY NUMBER ABOUT 20-THOUSAND --HAS FALLEN CONSIDERABLY BEHIND SCHEDULE BECAUSE OF WEATHER AND LOGISTICAL PROBLEMS. BUT THEY SAY THEY ARE CONFIDENT AN AMPLE NUMBER U-S TROOPS WILL BE ON STATION BY JANUARY 19TH, WHEN THE NATO-LED FORCE IS TO BEGIN FULL PATROLLING DUTIES IN THE FOUR-KILOMETER WIDE ZONE OF SEPARATION BETWEEN OPPOSING BOSNIAN FORCES.

    LATER IN THE WEEK, THE DEFENSE SECRETARY HOLDS A TRILATERAL MEETING IN UKRAINE WITH HIS UKRAINIAN AND RUSSIAN COUNTERPARTS ON THE NEARLY COMPLETE PROCESS OF DISMANTLING THE STRATEGIC NUCLEAR WEAPONS UKRAINE INHERITED AFTER THE COLLAPSE OF THE SOVIET UNION.

    AND HE THEN MOVES ON TO THE MIDDLE EAST FOR DEFENSE CONSULTATIONS IN OMAN, SAUDI ARABIA, JORDAN AND ISRAEL. HIS VISIT TO SAUDI ARABIA WILL BE THE FIRST BY A SENIOR U-S OFFICIAL SINCE A CAR-BOMB WRECKED AN OFFICE BUILDING HOUSING AMERICAN MILITARY ADVISERS IN RIYAHD NOVEMBER 13TH, KILLING SEVEN PEOPLE INCLUDING FIVE AMERICANS. (SIGNED)

    NEB/DAG/PT
    01-Jan-96 2:50 PM EST (1950 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America

    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    voa2html v1.01 run on Monday, 1 January 1996 - 20:26:57