|Thursday, 21 November 2019|
Macedonian Press Agency: News in English, 05-06-27
From: The Macedonian Press Agency at http://www.mpa.gr and http://www.hri.org/MPA.
 DEBATE IN PARLIAMENT ON THE SOCIAL SECURITY REFORMSAthens, 27 June 2005 (13:35 UTC+2)
The debate on the bank employees' social security reforms is launched in Parliament today. Former New Democracy President Militiadis Evert has submitted a rider which main opposition Socialist Party of PASOK intends to vote.
Honorary President of New Democracy Constantinos Mitsotakis stated that the riders introduced by Mr. Evert and Mr. Manos are pointless after the statement made by Minister of Finance Giorgos Alogoskoufis that the Social Security Fund, IKA, will not be financially burdened as a result of the reforms in the bank employees' social security.
The vote on the reforms will take place in Parliament on Thursday and the bank employees will continue their strike until then.
The lack of cash in the market is expected to become worse if the employees of private companies responsible for the supply of ATMs will go on a new strike tomorrow as announced. On Saturday, just 35% of the ATMs were supplying the bank costumers with cash.
Minister of Finance Mr. Alogoskoufis confirmed that measures will be taken so that no unfair charges will be imposed on the public as a result of the bank strike.
 THE 60TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE UN CHARTERAthens, 27 June 2005 (18:21 UTC+2)
The close cooperation of countries and peoples is a one-way street in order to be able to face tomorrow successfully, stressed among others Greek Foreign Minister Petros Molyviatis in a statement on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the signing of the UN Charter.
He added that the system built on the UN Charter should become more operational and dynamic to face the challenges brought about by the new century.
 THE 3RD GREECE-TURKEY MINISTERIAL ECONOMIC COMMITTEE MEETING IN ATHENSAthens, 27 June 2005 (17:31 UTC+2)
The 3rd Greece-Turkey ministerial economic committee meeting will take place in Athens on June 29-30 and among others will be discussed issues of bilateral trade, energy, tourism, transportation and investments.
On Greece's side, the meeting will be chaired by Deputy Foreign Minister Evripidis Stilianidis and on Turkey's side by Deputy Foreign Trade Minister Tuncer Kayalar.
 COSMOTE TO OWN 70% OF COSMOROMAthens, 27 June 2005 (16:10 UTC+2)
The extraordinary general assembly of the Greek Cosmote gave the green light to a 70% participation of the Greek mobile phone company in the share capital of the Romanian mobile phone company Cosmorom.
After the transaction is completed Cosmote will own 70% of the Cosmorom share capital and its parent company Romtelecom will keep the rest 30%.
The transaction is expected to be completed earlier than initially predicted in the first half of July.
 LOCAL ADMINISTRATION EMPLOYEES ON STRIKEAthens, 27 June 2005 (14:13 UTC+2)
Local administration employees will hold a 24-hour strike on Wednesday, June 29 on the occasion of developments concerning labour and social security issues.
The local administration employees' labor union mentions in a statement it has issued that its members are determined to react to the government's efforts to abolish social security and pension rights.
 CONSTRUCTION WORKERS ON STRIKEAthens, 27 June 2005 (14:00 UTC+2)
Construction workers will hold a 24-hour strike on Wednesday, June 29 with economic and institutional demands.
They demand minimum day wage of 60 euros, minimum pension of 960 euros, the right to retire at the age of 55, unemployment benefit corresponding to 80% of the day wage, sanitation and safety measures at the workplace, and adoption of 7-hour workday and five-day workweek.
Protest rallies will be held in Athens and Thessaloniki.
 FIREWORKS AND MOBILITYNicosia, 27 June 2005 (13:49 UTC+2)
Cypriot Foreign Minister Giorgos Iakovou characterized as fireworks the statements made by Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat who stated in an interview with the Cyprus daily Phieleftheros that he wishes to meet with Cypriot President Tassos Papadopoulos without the presence of a UN representative.
A Finish diplomat, who is the special adviser on Cyprus appointed by European Commissioner Olli Rehn, responsible for EU enlargement issues, arrives in Cyprus today for contacts on the political problem and the role of the EU and UN in the solution of the political problem on the island.