Read about The Loizidou vs Turkey Case of the European Court of Human Rights (18 December, 1996) A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Monday, 23 November 2020
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Kosova Daily Report #1677, 99-01-29

Kosovo Information Center: Kosova Daily Report Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: Kosova Information Center <http://www.kosova.com/>

Kosova Information Center
KOSOVA DAILY REPORT #1677
Prishtina, 29 January 1999

First Edition: 13:30 CET
Second Edition: 17:30 CET

CONTENTS

  • [01] Serbian Forces Kill 23 Albanians in a Village in Southwestern Kosova Today
  • [02] President Rugova's Press Conference
  • [03] Big Powers Demand Deal on Kosovo Within Weeks
  • [04] 73 Kosova Albanians Massacred by Serb Forces in a Fortnight
  • [05] Four Albanians Killed at the Border, Two in Bishtazhin Village

  • [01] Serbian Forces Kill 23 Albanians in a Village in Southwestern Kosova Today

    The 73 civilian Albanians massacred by Serbian forces in three separate incidents in a fortnight is the Milosevic regime's response to the international community's 'talk tough - act weak' policy over the Kosova crisis

    PRISHTINA, Jan 29 (KIC) - At least twenty-three Albanians were killed by Serbian forces today (Friday) in the village of Rogov& e Hasit, municipality of Gjakova, in southwestern Kosova, sources said.

    The LDK chapter in Gjakova said the "Albanian civilians were executed by Serbian forces" in the village.

    Sandy Blyt, a spokesman for the OSCE Kosova Verification Mission (KVM) told the KIC the Serbian Interior Ministry (MUP) had told the KVM the Serb police was shot at around 6:45 a.m. today in the village of Rogov&. One Serb policeman was killed, and possibly ten Albanians had been shot dead when the police "returned fire", the MUP had told the OSCE mission.

    The OSCE verifiers in fact found 23 killed people. "Eleven dead were found inside a minibus, and three others outside it" in the village of Rogov&, Mr. Blyt said, adding that five dead were found in a "hut", as he put it, and four more in yet another hut, some 400 meters away in the village.

    The killed Albanians were in civilian clothes, but "some small arms were scattered around", Sandy Blyt told the KIC.

    Meanwhile, the Serb regime Prishtina-based Media Center said in a report at 10:15 hrs in "an attack" on the police at 6:30 in Rogov& village a Serb policeman, Predrag Rakovic, was killed. "Police returned fire and, according to initial reports, around 20 attackers were killed".

    A group of some 10 Serb policemen had moved into the village today morning to "arrest terrorists who had been hidden inside a house", the Media Center said, routinely referring to Albanians as 'terrorists'.

    Meanwhile, sources from Prizren told the KIC the Serb police took the bodies of 19 Albanians and a Serb policeman to the town morgue in Prizren.

    Today's slaying of two dozen Albanians in Rogov& comes after the massacre of 45 Albanians in the village of Re^ak, south of Prishtina, and the slaying of five Albanians, including two children and a woman, in a tractor in Rakovina village, southwestern Kosova, on 24 January. The Serbian regime propaganda machine tried to cover up the Re^ak massacre, alleging Albanians died in the 'heat of the battle' with Serb forces, whereas a Serb health minister said the five Albanians died in a 'road accident' in Rakovina.

    The OSCE Mission said in a press release on 27 January it condemned "the shooting of five civilians near the village of Rakovina, reported Monday, as a criminal and brutal act which cannot be tolerated."

    The KVM verifiers who attended the scene "of this horrendous incident [in Rakovina] were shocked by the senseless ferocity exhibited. More than 200 rounds appear to have been fired at the victims", the press release said.

    The 73 civilian Albanians massacred by Serbian forces in three separate incidents in a fortnight is the Milosevic regime's response to the international community's 'talk tough - act weak' policy over the Kosova crisis.

    [02] President Rugova's Press Conference

    PRISHTINA, Jan 29 (KIC) - The President of the Republic of Kosova Dr. Ibrahim Rugova said today the situation in the country continued to be very dangerous. In the aftermath of the Re^ak massacre, when 45 Albanian civilians were killed, 5 Albanians, including two children, were slain by Serb forces in Rakovina village on Sunday, Rugova said.

    The President held his press conference at 10 a.m. today (Friday), and was apparently still unaware of the killing of 23 Albanians by Serbian forces in the village of Rogova today.

    There has been an ongoing Serbian military offensive in Kosova since Christmas, President Rugova said, adding that Albanian villages in the northern Podujeva area have been attacked these past few days with tanks and heavy artillery, too.

    Rugova pressed for an urgent NATO intervention in Kosova, "to protect the people of Kosova and to create stability in southeastern Europe".

    The best solution for Kosova is independence, with all guarantees for the local Serb community, President Rugova said adding that such an arrangement would stabilize the neighboring countries: Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia itself.

    The Kosova President thanked U.S. President Clinton for having authorized 25 million dollars in humanitarian aid for Kosova.

    Kosova will be represented by its legitimate representatives, including the negotiating team, in any international press conference being talked about or talks prepared by the Contact Group, Rugova said in reply to a question.

    Kosovar representatives have their platform - that is independence - he said, adding that now an interim settlement is being sought for Kosova.

    Meanwhile, President Rugova's office said Rugova received today the Norwegian ambassador to Belgrade, Jan Gaarder.

    Mr. Gaarder presented the President with a message by NATO Secretary General Javier Solana regarding the outcome of Thursday's meeting of the North Atlantic Council on Kosova.

    [03] Big Powers Demand Deal on Kosovo Within Weeks

    Talks to be held in a secluded French chateau, chaired by British and French foreign ministers

    PRISHTINA, Jan 29 (KIC) - The major powers within the six-nation Contact Group on Friday summoned Belgrade and Prishtina to attend peace talks in France by February 6 and set a tight deadline for concluding an agreement on autonomy for Kosova, Reuters reported.

    Foreign ministers of the Contact Group "agreed to summon representatives from the Federal Yugoslav and Serbian governments and representatives of the Kosovo Albanians to Rambouillet (southwest of Paris) by February 6...to begin negotiations," a joint statement said.

    Ministers from United States, Russia, Britain, France, Germany and Italy "agreed that the participants should work to conclude negotiations within seven days." An agreement should include "elements for a substantial autonomy for Kosova," they said.

    The Contact Group would allow a further period of less than one week if the talks appeared to be heading for success.

    British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook said he would deliver the message to Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic and to Kosova on Saturday. "We want agreement on the Contact Group proposals within the next three weeks at most," he said.

    NATO is expected to back that timetable on Saturday with an explicit threat of military action if the two sides do not heed the call to talk peace, Reuters said.

    NATO issued a statement on Thursday saying it would back up the political package offered by the Contact Group regarding the Kosova crisis.

    "The appropriate authorities in Belgrade and representatives of the Kosovo Albanian leadership must agree to the proposals to be issued by the Contact Group for completing an interim political settlement within the timeframe to be established," NATO Secretary-General Javier Solana said in Brussels on Thursday.

    The Contact Group ministers were unanimous in demanding a return to a ceasefire and were alarmed by news of more bloodshed on Friday, in which Serbian forces killed twenty three Albanians in Rogova village of Gjakova municipality.

    "The killing must stop," Cook said.

    They also demanded that the U.N. war crimes tribunal on former Yugoslavia be granted access to Kosova, and international monitors must be allowed to work unimpeded.

    The statement said the Contact Group would hold both sides accountable if they failed to seize the opportunity for peace but stopped short of mentioning a threat of force, which Russia opposes, Reuters news agency noted.

    The talks at the secluded French chateau, where the first annual summit of major industrialized countries was held in 1975, will be co-chaired by Cook and French Foreign Minister Hubert Vedrine, the statement said.

    Cook said Britain, France and their NATO partners were prepared to underpin an agreement on self-rule for Kosovo by deploying ground troops, but only if the warring parties signed up to a political process.

    "We are only going to commit ground troops if there is a commitment to a political process. Nobody is going to commit ground troops in the context of a continuing war and a crumbling ceasefire," he said.

    Prime Minister Tony Blair and French President Jacques Chirac discussed Kosovo over dinner on Thursday and said they were willing to send troops to underpin any peace deal, Reuters said.

    Chirac and Blair said they were "ready to envisage, along with their core NATO partners, any military action, including sending ground troops necessary to accompany the implementation of a negotiated settlement."

    Put in a nutshell, the position of the Kosovar institutions, the Albanian forces across the political spectrum, as well as the Kosova Liberation Army (U^K), has been that an interim political arrangement for Kosova on a par with Serbia and Montenegro at the 'FRY' level would be acceptable, if it provided an independence referendum at the end of the three-year period.

    [04] 73 Kosova Albanians Massacred by Serb Forces in a Fortnight

    PRISHTINA, Jan 29 (KIC) - At least twenty-three Albanians were killed by Serbian forces today (Friday) in the village of Rogov& e Hasit, municipality of Gjakova, in southwestern Kosova, sources said.

    The LDK chapter in Gjakova said the "Albanian civilians were executed by Serbian forces" in the village.

    Sandy Blyt, a spokesman for the OSCE Kosova Verification Mission (KVM) told the KIC were wearing civilian clothing, but "some small arms were scattered around".

    Today's slaying of two dozen Albanians in Rogov& comes after the massacre of 45 Albanians in the village of Re^ak, south of Prishtina, and the slaying of five Albanians, including two children and a woman, in a tractor in Rakovina village, southwestern Kosova, on 24 January. The Serbian regime propaganda machine tried to cover up the Re^ak massacre, alleging Albanians died in the 'heat of the battle' with Serb forces, whereas a Serb health minister said the five Albanians died in a 'road accident' in Rakovina.

    The OSCE Mission said in a press release on 27 January it condemned "the shooting of five civilians near the village of Rakovina, reported Monday, as a criminal and brutal act which cannot be tolerated."

    The KVM verifiers who attended the scene "of this horrendous incident [in Rakovina] were shocked by the senseless ferocity exhibited. More than 200 rounds appear to have been fired at the victims", the press release said.

    The 73 civilian Albanians massacred by Serbian forces in three separate incidents in a fortnight (many others killed in smaller incidents) is the Milosevic regime's response to the international community's 'talk tough - act weak' policy over the Kosova crisis.

    [05] Four Albanians Killed at the Border, Two in Bishtazhin Village

    PRISHTINA, Jan 29 (KIC) - On Wednesday night the Serb military killed three Albanians near the Lubizhd& village, northwest of Prizren, at the Kosova- Albania border, local Serb sources said.

    They were killed while trying to infiltrate the border, they added.

    Another Albanian was killed Thursday evening at the Kosova-Albania border in the municipality of Gjakova, sources said.

    Meanwhile, LDK sources said the two Albanians killed in clashes with Serbian forces in Bishtazhin village yesterday have been identified as Kasim Shala (28) and Hamdi Berisha (22).

    Kosova Information Center

    Kosovo Information Center: Kosova Daily Report Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    ksv2html v1.02 run on Monday, 1 February 1999 - 13:00:39 UTC